Postgraduate Researcher (Oct. 2014 - Current)
Sonic Arts Research Centre, Queen’s University Belfast
- Developing emulations of analogue circuits in MATLAB and C++
- Analysing accuracy to reference devices and computational efficiency of algorithms.
Audio HW Engineering Intern (April-Sept. 2017)
- Designed audio electronics, involving the full range of circuit design including: creating specifications; PCB layout; testing prototype designs.
Course Demonstrator (Oct. 2014 - Jan. 2017)
School of Electronics, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Queen’s University Belfast
- Helped students in developing their knowledge of C programming and circuit analysis through workshops and tutorials
iOS App Design Intern (July-Aug 2014)
Department of Electronics, University of York
- Developed an iOS application using Objective C to gather data on the relation between boys’ speaking pitch and pubertal development (available)
PhD in Electronic Engineering, 2019 (post-viva, pre-graduation)
Queen’s University Belfast
- Preliminary thesis title: “Guitar effects identification and emulation”
BSc. in Music Technology, 2014
University of York
- Classification: First class
- Final year project: “A prototype standalone real-time musical instrument using granular synthesis”. Received department award for best final year project
B. Holmes and M. van Walstijn. "Improving the robustness of the iterative solver in state-space modelling of guitar distortion circuitry", Proceedings of the 18th International Conference on Digital Audio Effects, Trondheim, Norway, Dec. 2015.
B. Holmes and M. van Walstijn. "Physical model parameter optimisation for calibrated emulation of the Dallas Rangemaster Treble Booster guitar pedal", Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Digital Audio Effects, Brno, Czech Republic, Sept. 2016
B. Holmes, M. Holters, M. van Walstijn. "Comparison of Germanium Bipolar Junction Transistor Models for Real-Time Circuit Simulation", Proceedings of the 20th International Conference on Digital Audio Effects, Edinburgh, Scotland, Sept. 2017